Ravenna status: Thirteen days and counting
There was vacation, and there’s always work, and there’s actually working on the costume… so I haven’t posted much progress lately. And all the photos are taken late at night with my cameraphone, so there’s that. But here’s how it’s going.
The skirt portion has been a special little beast. Back in July I posted about how I was working on the skirt hook findings, which were originally sourced in Turkey, and, well, I’m not in Turkey. I wrote that Sculpey would be fine since they were just decorative and didn’t have to actually hold the skirt’s weight. Then a week ago, I was looking at the pictures for the eleventy-billionth time and realized they do. The skirt is separate and attached to the bodice by those pieces. My mister suggested resin, and my superhero-pal-in-Dragon*Con-crime Neal helped me with his resin experience to start casting them. Only 20 to go! Then drilling, painting…
But back to the skirt itself–you ever start doing something, then think, ooh, I know a quicker way, all the while knowing you should do it the right way instead? Yeah, that. I started out putting the skirt together with the piping between the layers, all in one pass, like this:
The right way would have been to make the piping, then insert it into the seams. But I just knew I could shave off some time doing it all at once. When I started ironing them flat, I realized just how inconsistent the width of the piping was. I’m not a perfectionist. I’m usually a close-enoughist. But this time I knew what I had to do. I took apart the entire skirt, all 24 panels, all 184 feet of stitching, and I started over. I made the piping first, then put it in.
If you figure I’d already done some of them 2, 3, or even 4 times in places trying to even it out to fix my cheat, that’s about a tenth of a mile of seams.
I’ve put a few of them together. They still need a lot of ironing, but you can see it will be the skirt!
Then I started worrying that the points would lose their pointiness after travelling to Atlanta and hanging in a closet for a while. So I started thinking about stitching in the ditch between the piping and the panel. It’s a slow-going process to keep it from being a disaster on the second side, but I think it’ll work.
Finally, the bodice. I’ve gotten most of the leather piping sewn to it. Next up, gold beads and sequins.
Thirteen days to go!